We might be slightly biased, as we think swimming is great. You’re on our website, so it seems that Swimming Matters… to you too. Just in case you need a few more reasons to love swimming, here are our favourites:
1) It’s a life skill and could save your life.
2) It’s GREAT exercise. It is an all over body workout. It works (and tones) your arms, legs and core. It is a cardiovascular exercise, so it works your heart and lungs. It is also a non-weight bearing, so great for those who want low impact workout. Burning calories, improving muscle tone and flexibility, helping to keep your heart and lungs healthy, and a low impact activity, what more could you want? For further details on it’s benefits please see our health section.
3) It’s widely cited that due to the pressure and resistance of the water 30 minutes exercise in the water is worth 45 minutes on land. We understand that in this day and age, time is precious, and therefore swimming or aquatic exercise is ideal if you want to make the best use of your time!
4) Swimming opens up more opportunities such as scuba diving, sailing, taking a quick dip by the hotel pool whilst on holiday and faster triathlons. Who knows where it could take you?
5) There is just something about being in the water. Some people describe it as relaxing, others say that it allows them to completely switch off from the stresses of work and home (this is something our beginners experience too), and it can make you feel good!
6) It could boost your social life. In addition to psychological and physical benefits there are also social benefits, such as meeting new people, going to the pool with friends, or taking on a new challenge with colleagues such as the Great North Swim.
7) Did we forget to mention that it’s fun?!